Hello & happy Monday! To start off the week, we’re talking about my daily morning routine or ritual! Things tend to start early – I like getting up early so I have time for myself before I report to work. It just so happens that my morning routine is also my daily spiritual practice or sādhanā. I’ve linked the wiki entry of sādhanā but it’s completely open for interpretation and is beautifully unique in each person’s mind. In my eyes, my sādhanā is the part of my day that I turn into myself. It’s the time of the day that I plug in, recharge, and prepare myself for for the new day. That’s why I enjoy doing this in the morning. Sometimes this practice is goes on all day and sometimes it’s half an hour. Either way, it sets me up to be happy and feel close to who I really am.
Little disclaimer – you may notice a lot of my routine aligns with Ayurveda…this is not an accident but I am in no ways an expert on this and I’m only sharing – not recommending. Also, my ritual does change with time and circumstance, but it has been consistent for a few months – so I figured this was the perfect time to share.
- Morning Prayer – this is nothing fancy, I’m usually still in my bed or on my way to the bathroom. But right when I wake up, I just take a moment for gratitude for the day and the gifts it can bring.
- Tongue Scrape – yep, ew. It is really gross I won’t lie. I use a silver tongue scraper to pull toxins off my tongue and massage my inner organs through my tongue. Oh yeahhh. Google it.
- Copper Water – Every night, with good intentions, I fill a pure copper cup with water. Overnight, copper ions dissolve in that water in small amounts. It is said this water now has the potency to destroy harmful microbes, fungi, bacteria, etc. (Vasanti Health) In the morning, I use this water to swish and rinse my mouth. I drink the remaining. Beyond the health benefits of the water, I enjoy preparing my water the night before – it feels special as I drink it the next day, like an offering I’ve made to myself.
- Oil Pull – I throw a tablespoon of coconut oil in my mouth, melt it, then swish it around for about 10-15 minutes (I do the rest of my routine at this time!), pulling toxins out of my mouth. This also has dental benefits. Once again, I’m not expert, Google it! Or just try it and see how you feel.
- …Use the bathroom… – not going to give you Internet creeps any info on this…but I’ve included because it’s an important part of the morning routine!
- Lemon & ACV Water – I add the juice from a lemon, 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and ice to a glass. I boil water and pour it over the mixture. This makes an awesome, warm drink that wakes up my digestive system and since I’ve been drinking it for months, I don’t feel awake until I’ve had it!
- Movement – as I sip on my morning cocktail, I move. This is different every day. Sometimes it’s 5 minutes of stretching, sometimes it’s an hour and a half yoga practice, sometimes it’s a walk, sometimes it’s just walking around my apartment. This is just to get the blood flowing and it makes me happy.
- Meditation – I sit in meditation for about 20 minutes. I begin with a couple minutes of breath work – to quiet myself down and tune in, then I let the universe come in & take over 🙂
- Journaling/Intention Setting – I don’t journal every day, but some days I like to draw a picture, write down an intention, something that came to me in meditation, etc. Either way, it’s nice to take some time (literally 2 minutes some days) to consider my day and outwardly express.
At this point, I’m ready to get the day started! Maybe some coffee, sometimes a workout comes next, sometimes it’s breakfast, whatever the day brings! As a friend, I highly recommend having a steady morning routine – it allows the day to unfold slower and softer. My morning sādhanā leads me to take advantage of my entire day and keeps me energized and grateful. Thanks for reading! I hope this post gave you some insight and maybe some ideas for your own ritual. Enjoy your day & week 🙂